Sunday, November 9, 2008

Episode 27: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised

110908.2307



Martin Luther King Jr. said: “I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident: that all men are created equal." I have a dream that one day on the red hills of Georgia the sons of former slaves and the sons of former slave owners will be able to sit down together at the table of brotherhood. I have a dream that one day even the state of Mississippi, a state sweltering with the heat of injustice, sweltering with the heat of oppression, will be transformed into an oasis of freedom and justice. I have a dream that my four little children will one day live in a nation where they will not be judged by the color of their skin but by the content of their character. I have a dream today.”

And on November 4th 2008, America awoke from its 45 year long slumber, and witnessed at 11 o’clock eastern standard time, the realization of that dream. The milliseconds before the clock struck eleven, the psyche of a nation had undergone a dramatic metamorphosis which came to fruition another millisecond later. At eleven, newscasters from around coast to coast proclaimed in unison “we can now project Barack Obama the next president of the United States.” From the 75,000 strong at Grant Park, to the thousands in Times Square, to the living rooms of millions, America and the world cried out in exaltation. We elected the first African American President.

And it wasn’t the kind of photo finish win we’ve seen the past two election cycles. Barack Obama won decisively, earning a total of 364 electoral votes. The victory, doesn’t only belong to President-Elect Obama, but also to Americans, who in one loud voice last Tuesday demanded change, and aspired to a greater America bound together under one banner – the American flag. Obama called for self sacrifice, shared responsibility, a commitment to serve one another, and rebuild a nation. We heeded. As Obama always reminds us, it isn’t going to be easy. We are going to have to work, come together and sacrifice if we are to going to pave the way for a better future for home and abroad. But I know we will rise to the occasion. Americans always do. I have never been filled with so much hope for a better tomorrow. I know the sentiment it shared with millions others.

As a Black American, this victory was especially special for me. I felt a sense of validation, and increased worth. As Whoopi Goldberg said, “I can put my suitcase down.” I have always loved my country, but I really loved my country on Tuesday night. I could not hold back the tears of pride and joy.

Look out world, America is coming to the 21st century table. “The revolution will not be televised, will not be televised, will not be televised, will not be televised. The revolution will be no re-run brothers; The revolution will be live.” –Gil Scott Heron
Digg Google Bookmarks reddit Mixx StumbleUpon Technorati Yahoo! Buzz DesignFloat Delicious BlinkList Furl

1 comments: on "Episode 27: The Revolution Will Not Be Televised"

Anonymous said...

Congratulations to Mr. Obama ^^!

Post a Comment